Thoughts on Being a Great Blog Commenter for Day 23

Hand on a KeyboardThe activity for the Challenge today was to figure out how to be a fabulous blog commenter and take that one step further.

The next part of the challenge was to determine what tips would you give someone if you were teaching them to be a great blog commenter.

I had some ideas of my own, but decided to went in search of other thoughts from other bloggers before synthesizing my own.

Gina Trapani offered these guidelines about posting weblog comments:

Stay on topic.
Contribute new information to the discussion.
Don’t comment for the sake of commenting.
Know when to comment and when to e-mail.
Remember that nobody likes a know-it-all.
Make the tone of your message clear.
Own your comment.
Be succinct.
Cite your sources with links or inline quoting.
Be courteous.
Don’t post when you’re angry, upset, drunk or emotional.
Do not feed or tease the trolls.

Good Comment had the following list of questions that one should ask oneself prior to posting a blog comment.

Is my comment on topic?
Is my comment as short and concise as possible?
Is my comment friendly and polite in tone and language?
Does my comment add something useful to the conversation?
Would I want somebody to leave this comment on my blog?
Does your comment pass the test?

According to Good Comment, if you can answer positively to each of the above questions, then the chances it’s a good comment.

Blog Comments are Permanent and for Building Relationships

A recent post on DoshDosh by Maki reminds us that we should view every blog comment as a permanent, long-term representation of yourself and your brand. We should also be seeing blog comments as a way of networking with the blog author.

Think long-term: not just incoming traffic today but exposure down the road. Don’t just focus on getting an immediate return (visitors via your link drop) but use comments to develop relationships of ongoing value.

Maki stresses to “Think long-term, think relationships and think about getting repeat benefits” and that Commenting is an extraordinary easy way to not only get visitors to your site, but develop mutually beneficial relationships along the way.

My Six “C’s” on Being a Great Blog Commenter

The key tips I would pass on to someone about being a great blog commenter are:

• Centered – Stay focused.
  • Contribute – Share some information or something useful.
  • Courteous– Be Polite.
  • Credit – Give credit where credit is due. (Cite your sources.)
  • Camaraderie – Commenting is a way of building relationships with other bloggers.
  • Constant – Remember comments are permanent.

The last one, My Golden Rule of Internet Blog Posting, comes from my thoughts on an earlier blog posting, Debating / Day 5 Comment on a Blog Post You Don’t Agree With, where Bill Scott responded in the 10 Rules for Blog Debates with

Remember that once your post is submitted it will be read by many and possibly used against you later. Always examine your motives before you post.

Day 23: What Makes a Great Comment?

The task for Day 23 came from Carolyn Foote and builds on the analysis from Day 22 of your favorite comment(s), namely to write about the features and characteristics of a great comment. The second part was to decide what tips you would teach someone if he or she wanted to know about becoming a fabulous commenter.

Accomplishment for Day 23

Researching the topics of Being a Great Blog Commenter.
Reading and synthesizing the thoughts into my own.
Deciding on my own Top Tips for Being a Great Blog Commenter.
Writing and Posting Day 23 of the Challenge.

Reflections & Revelations for Day 23

Thinking about what makes a fabulous commenter was something I hadn’t done prior to the challenge. I realized that I have some pretty strong preferences based on blog experiences prior to this challenge and could also pass on some helpful tips for being a great blog commenter.

Sources:

Gina Trapani. Sep 21 2005. Geek to Live: Lifehacker’s guide to weblog comments. LifeHacker.com

Good Comment. 2007. Advice for Writing a Great Blog Comment. Good Comment.com

Maki. April 2008. Rethinking Blog Comments: Much More Than Just A Quick Way to Get Web Traffic. Dosh Dosh.

This blog post is part of The Comment Challenge, comment08.

4 thoughts on “Thoughts on Being a Great Blog Commenter for Day 23

1. I like your concept of the Six C’s. Catchy (hey, make that seven).
    Your thoughts (from Bill Scott) on asking the commenter what their motives are when posting a comment (and how their words can be used against them) gave me pause, however. It felt as if you were unintentionally setting up some sort of battle lines between the blogger and the commenter, although I may have misread that.
    Take care
    Kevin

2. Kevin

Thanks for the comments on the Six (+) C’s.

I hadn’t read Bill Scott’s comment quite the way that you did and perhaps to clarify my thought on it, should have edited to read more like:

Always examine your motives before you post. Remember that once your post is submitted it will be read by many.

I was still thinking about something that I’d posted as part of the Once, Twice, Three Times Blog Skipping in response to employers looking at future employees. I was musing:

It will be interesting to see if people start changing what they are posting realizing that what gets posted on the Internet suddenly becomes a public and potentially permanent.

It wasn’t meant to be battle lines, it was meant more to be thinking about what you are posting because comments are permanent.

3. Good point.
    When the comment is posted, it is out of your hands and into the hands of the blogger. It occurs to me that there is some trust built into that relationship — the commenter relies on the blogger to be a good steward of their words because we cannot go back in and make changes later.
    Thanks for clarifying that for me.
    Take care
    Kevin

4. Pingback: Finishing My Homework as The Comment Challenge Comes To An End | Mobile Technology in TAFE