Developing a Commenting Guide for Students on Day 29

The challenge for today was to develop an age-appropriate student commenting guide. Since I deal with college and graduate students, trying to get things down to the level of an elementary school student wouldn’t enter the picture, unless I put on my parenting hat (I have one that will be in third grade in the fall another who will be in first grade.)

I decided that I would start with my Six C’s on Being a Great Blog Commenter from Day 23 of the challenge and combine this with the current Discussion Board Guide that I have, written into the syllabus, for my online graduate. I also included the Grading Rubric I have adapted from one of the Online courses that I took. This could easily be adapted to grading blog comments.

Six C’s on Being a Great Blog Commenter

• Centered – Stay focused.
  • Contribute – Share some information or something useful.
  • Courteous– Be Polite.
  • Credit – Give credit where credit is due. (Cite your sources.)
  • Camaraderie – Commenting is a way of building relationships with other bloggers.
  • Constant – Remember comments are permanent.

Discussion Board & Grading Rubric

Discussion Board
With an online course, the discussion board is where most of the interaction occurs among the students in the class; this is where you will get to know your fellow classmates often more intimately than in a face to face setting. Plan on logging into the Discussion board to read, post & respond to new postings several times a week.

We have a fairly small number of people in the course, so you should be able to interacting with each of your other classmates. When posting your response for the week you may want to post your own answers first before responding to your classmate’s posts.

Each week that there are discussions be sure to respond to at least one of the posts for each of your classmates, who have posted timely posts.

Discussion Board Posting & Netiquette
Since we all are likely to have different backgrounds and experiences in regards to bereavement, grief, loss and hospice, each of us is likely to be looking at different resources and areas that the others may not be exploring. We had different paths in getting here and so each of us may have different areas of expertise or uniqueness that can be contributed and shared with the class as a whole.

You may want to share interesting or inspiring resources from books, articles, video or other sources may be useful to help in learning material for this class or used with clients in a professional setting.

The Student Help Section for Blackboard has a good review with guidelines for Netiquette.

When responding to classmates’ posts, in particular, be courteous and focus on offering constructive advice instead of criticisms.

Discussion Board Grading
You will be keeping track of your discussion board posts and self-grading your own postings based on the rubric listed below along with the discussion board grading form. As you are posting your results be sure that you take time to reflect, and include thoughtful analysis of materials, insights about the materials read and/or presented as well as providing constructive responses (teaching) to each other.

Discussion Board Grading Rubric

.

Full credit

Unsatisfactory

Quality of postings

Postings reflect the course readings (citing the source) and/or critical thinking.
Real world application processing is clearly evident.

Postings are not relevant to the question posed or tend to just be “me too”, “I agree” messages.

Quantity of postings

Responds to at least two other participants.

Responds to the question posted and one of the following:

1. neglects to respond to any postings OR

2. dominates the thread with excessive postings

Timeliness of posts

Responses occur early enough in the week to allow others to provide feedback.

Responses contribute to the information exchange of the learning community.

Posts meet the other criteria but are posted at the end of the week when class discussions have moved on to other topics.

Source: Van Duzer J. 2006. Discussion Rubrics, Introduction to Moodle Course.

Communicating the Commenting Guide

I like the idea of making the commenting guide a collaborative process and using a wiki. I think giving the graduate students the Guidelines on being a Great Blog Commenter with the Guidelines on Posting in a Discussion Board would be a good way to start.

If I needed to have something developed for myself, I would include the commenting guide as part of the course syllabus.

While I like the idea of using VoiceThread I am not sure if I would use a audio / video for my college students. I could see VoiceThread being helpful if one were trying to instruct younger students.

Day 29: Write a Commenting Guide for Students

The activity for Day 29 was to write an age-appropriate guide for commenting and then decide how to communicate the commenting guide.

Accomplishments for Day 29

Discovering that I had more information than I thought for developing a commenting guides for students.

Realizing that I could use some of the existing resources that I’ve come up with as part of the challenge and as part of my existing online course.

Thinking about using a wiki to allow the students to create a more collaborative commenting guide.

Writing and Posting Day 29 of the challenge.

Reflections and Revelations for Day 29

The biggest revelation was even though I thought this was going to be a difficult process, I’d already had or created some of the resources that I would need to develop a commenting guide for my students, if I needed to do so.

This blog post is part of The Comment Challenge, comment08.

One thought on “Developing a Commenting Guide for Students on Day 29

1. Pingback: Finishing My Homework as The Comment Challenge Comes To An End | Mobile Technology in TAFE